今次「香港賽馬會」和「香港木庫」合作以本地回收木材製作成裝飾材料。香港木庫是一間以「R3 – Recycle, Redesign, Relink」為理念的環保社會企業，致力回收因發展、老化或颱風而砍伐的樹木材料，將「美感設計+環保再用」結合，讓樹木再生資源為社會帶來更大的價值。
Hong Kong Jockey Club collaborated with HK Timberbank to create decorative elements with recycled timber. HK Timberbank is an eco-social enterprise that adheres to the concept of “R3 – ReCYCLE, ReDESIGN, ReLINK”. HK Timberbank is committed to recycling local trees felled due to typhoons, aging or urban development. Mindful of design and artistry, HK Timberbank aims to give local timber a second life, benefiting our home city and society.
In this cooperation, both parties hope the works can help the public to learn more about industrial ecology and gain a better understanding of the local eco-friendly timber industry. The Kwun Tong Plaza shop activity area uses wood from two different types of “Acacia confusa” trees that have been cut down to make way for development. Whereas the decorated wall at HKJC LOHAS Shop uses various types of wood such as Khaya senegalensis, Ficus Microcarpa and Araucaria that were damaged and collected after Super Typhoon Mangkhu and Typhoon Higos in 2018 and 2020 respectively.
- 「高溫乾燥」：由於回收樹木內有樹汁、 水份、微生物等，需安排於真空乾燥窰用以70-80度高溫處理 2-3 星期，令木材水含量降至8%至12%的水平
From wood collection to the final product, HK Timberbank takes a four-step procedure.
- COLLECT: HK Timberbank closely communicates with different government departments, private companies, tree owners or arborists to collect felled trees due to typhoon, aging or urban development.
- CLASSIFICATION & CUTTING: HK Timberbank categorizes the collected timber and cut them into boards, planks and panels for processing.
- DRY: Through vacuum drying at a temperature of 70-80°C for 2-3 weeks to dry out sap and water as well as to kill microorganisms. After the drying process, the product will only have 8-12% of water left.
- DESIGN & PRODUCTION: Post production processes like detailing, sanding and oiling to transform the timber into various wood products.
- 台灣相思/ 耳果相思樹：
樹木回收地點：大埔, 沙田, 元朗
More about Recycled Timber in HKJC Kwun Tong Plaza Shop
- Acacia confusa
Acacia confusa can often be found on slopes. They are tough and drought-tolerant, and grow extensively in rugged conditions. In harsh environments, they grow taller and faster, and their fallen leaves decompose to form organic matter, which greatly improves the slopes’ soil conditions.
Commonness in Hong Kong：****
Geographical distribution: Tai Po, Sha Tin, Yuen Long
More about Recycled Timber in HKJC Lohas Park Shop
- Khaya senegalensis
Khaya senegalensis can often be found among road sides. Its wood is heat and drought resistant with a pink-red pigment in the middle. The heart wood is covered by darkish brown sapwood which can be peeled off like fish scales. Khaya senegalensis is commonly used for constructions, flooring and furniture.
Commonness in Hong Kong：***
- Ficus microcarpa
Ficus microcarpa is one of the most common tree types in Hong Kong. It belongs to the softwood category with lots of resin and sap inside. Due to its irregular and twisted trunk, it increases the difficulty to extract wood thus it is commonly discarded. Ficus Microcarpa has a detailed wood grain and with mild color after heat treatment.
Commonness in Hong Kong：*****
Araucaria’s bark is thick and taupe in colour, with wide spreading branches luxuriant foliage. Its stiff bole is wind resistant but requires plenty of sunlight and warm climate to prosper. Such an appearance allows Araucaria to stand out among other trees in downtown. After drying in the kiln, the lumber becomes hardened which makes it hard to deform or bend.
Commonness in Hong Kong：****